Celebrate the 150th anniversary of the tree planters holiday right here where it all began at Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City! All across this 260-acre campus, opportunities abound to play, learn, taste, and shop, all in celebration of trees. In addition to the fun activities listed below, we’re hosting a Prize Hunt April 29-May 1 in celebration of the 150th anniversary of Arbor Day and the 50th anniversary of the Arbor Day Foundation. Look for specially marked Prize Hunt envelopes in trees around the property to win a variety of prizes including Arbor Day Farm wine, attraction tickets, t-shirts, meals at Timbers and Porter’s, and Lied Lodge overnight stays.
At the Tree Adventure:
- Explore the tree canopy as you make your way from treehouse to treehouse at the one-of-a-kind Treetop Village.®
- Experience live performances from Omaha Street Percussion on Saturday at 11am and 2pm.
- Visiting artist Jayson Fann will repurpose a huge tree trunk into a playable drum. Come see him work Tuesday through mid-Sunday in the outdoor classroom area.
- Hike wooded trails.
- Sail through the air on the ZipKrooz and climb a giant spider web.
- Go tree climbing on Saturday from 10am-3pm (weather permitting).
- Enjoy a guided orchard tour with our orchards manager. Available Saturday at 10am and 3pm and on Sunday 2pm.
- Take part in interactive activities including pinecone critter craft making, a “wood” you know the difference game, leaf stamping, and a fascinating look at squirrels as tree planters. Available Saturday 10am- 4pm and Sunday 12pm-4pm.
- Become a Junior Arborist! Learn about trees and do fun and educational nature activities to earn your very own Arbor Day Farm Junior Arborist patch. Great for kids ages 5-12.
All activities are included with your Tree Adventure admission. The guided orchard tour and Jr. Arborist program are free and do not require Tree Adventure admission.
At Arbor Lodge Mansion:
- Explore the 52-room mansion and learn about the history of Arbor Day.
- Get a peek into spring planting on the Morton Farm and view vintage post cards of Arbor Lodge.
- See the Women of Arbor Lodge display in a recently opened area of the mansion.
- Tour the park grounds, experience the whispering bench, view historic trees, and visit the Carriage House.
No park entry fee is required.
At the Apple House Market
Come check out the newly rebuilt Apple House Market! Sip (or gulp!) Arbor Day Farm apple cider and shop for jams, jellies, salsa, honey, pies, AND TREES, as well as a special Arbor Day vintage t-shirt. Enjoy a glass or tasting of Arbor Day Farm wine or try a seasonal SARO hard cider made from Arbor Day Farm apples. You can also grab a delicious bite of barbecue at Porter’s, now open in it’s new space inside the Apple House Market. And be sure to check out the viewing room to learn about the history of the farm and how tree shipping, apple growing, and cider pressing happen and are powered by solar power.
At Lied Lodge:
Relax, retreat, and gather together at Lied Lodge with beautiful, nature-inspired guest rooms, an indoor pool, chef-inspired cuisine at Timbers, and on-site spa. For availability and reservations, call 800-546-5433. Debuting this weekend at Timbers – it’s our 1872 drink and dessert menu, created in honor of the 150th anniversary of Arbor Day.
Also, join us Saturday evening for the Farm and Forest Dinner featuring a four-course, prix fixe (and Arbor Day-inspired) menu that has been artfully crafted by our Timbers culinary team. Learn more.
Arbor Day Weekend hours are Saturday 9 a.m.-7 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Go here to learn more about other Arbor Day events happening throughout Nebraska City. Activities include a parade, Bloody Mary competition, Arbor Day run & walk, and more!